The Half Moon Bay area is home to a pack or two of wild coyotes. They can typically be heard at night in the Western portion of the area, towards Cedarview Road.
The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources provides a lot of information on how to "Live with Coyotes" on their website.
Some of the most important information is what to do if you encounter a coyote:
- Never approach or touch a coyote.
- Do not turn your back on, or run from, a coyote.
- Back away from the coyote while remaining calm.
- Stand tall, wave your hands and make lots of noise.
- Carry a flashlight at night to scare off coyotes.
- If a coyote poses an immediate threat or danger to public safety, call 911.